Everyone knows the best way to show off a costume is at the masquerade. Contestants will be able to strut their stuff, show off, maybe even do a skit in front of all attendees. There are excellent prizes from our sponsors Anime Jungle, Epic Cosplay Wigs, Cosplay in America and Crunchyroll.
There are a few simple rules to follow!
1. HAVE FUN!! A masquerade is for you, the contestant to have fun and showcase your hard work from your costume! If you want to do a small skit, you may: PLEASE keep in mind that it must be PG friendly. If they don’t say it on Sesame Street, don’t do it at the Masquerade.
2. PG ONLY. Please no big nudity. We do love costumes and performances, but please advise that this is a public event and children will be in the audience. We don’t mind the big creepy scary looking characters. By all means frighten us away with your skills.
3. NO FIREARMS or LIVE STEEL. We love props, we love stage performances. But like the last rule, this kinda is a big one. Safety first. Let’s be real here: no bloodshed. Fake blood sure, but you’re cleaning that up. Not us.
4. ASSEMBLED or CRAFTED COSTUMES ONLY. It’s not fair if someone comes in with a commissioned or purchased costume. While we do encourage the masquerade we do want a fair playing ground for everyone.
* Assembled costumes – costumes that can be thrifted into a costume is allowed. Such as L form Death Note. No we do not expect someone to make jeans from scratch to cosplay as L. Purchasing a shirt and adding a sailor collar is another example. This is why assembled is allowed. Purchasing a sailor fuku from a website does not make it an assembled costume.
5. ANY THEME. Here at Ninja-con we do specialize in ninjas. But that doesn’t mean you the contestant has to stick to ninjas. We want you to put your best foot forward so if you want to rock Ash Ketchum, Cloud Strife, or Captain America by all means, we want to see it.
6. PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF YOUR COSTUME SPACIAL AWARENESS. Hey you want to wear that Gundam? Sure. But if you can’t get into the building we’re sorry we can’t really help you there. We also don’t want you poking out anyone else’s eyes.
- YES, we allow single entries and groups. There’s no reason to not have groups and single entries.
- KIDS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ENTER. Hey we love kids. We love kids in costumes. WE love kids who love the stuff we’re into.. so if you want to showcase your child as a Moogle dancing around. We’d love to see it. Just be sure to keep the legal guardian around. We’re not here to babysit.
- SKITS ARE NOT MANDATORY. It’s fine if you want to come up and do a twirl or a pose. No one is forcing any contestant to do a skit. This is your time to shine.
- NO STAND UP COMEDY. Sorry this kinda has to go here. Skit’s aren’t meant to be abused. We do love comedy but not a mic hog.
- PLEASE KEEP SKITS APPROPRIATELY LENGTHEN’D. As much as we love performances, we don’t want you to do an entire concert as NANA or Beck. Let’s be fair and keep it under five minutes or so.
- ALL CONTESTANTS MUST BE REGISTERED WITH THE CONVENTION. This is kinda a no brainer. It’s not a “oh can we win a badge for this event if we compete?”-kinda thing. Please ensure that you have a badge for entering.
- “I PURCHASED A COSTUME BUT I WANT TO DO A SKIT”. You know what… enter and we’ll see what we can do. Yes we know this sounds like an oxymoron thing to put. We’re fair about these things we don’t know what’s going to happen. There’s ninja’s everywhere.
There will absolutely be a First, Second and Third place. We are a smaller convention in Little Tokyo.
- First Place: You are the big cheese, the head hancho, the best of the best.. Okay we think you get the picture. First place is our version of saying Best in Show.
- Second Place: You did great. We loved you… in fact we want to give you something for your dedication and hard work.
- Third Place: Guess what? Senpai noticed you. We love you too. We want to show that we noticed you.
Depending on the number of entires we might have honorable mentions. ❤ So be sure to spread the word about the masquerade.
In order to sign up for the masquerade follow these steps:
SEND AN EMAIL to NINJACONMASQUERADE@GMAIL.COM
SUBJECT LINE – MASQUERADE ENTRY
In the body please put/answer
YOUR CHARACTER’S NAME
YOUR CHARACTER’S SERIES
DO YOU PLAN ON HAVING OTHER MEMBERS IN YOUR GROUP? YES OR NO
IF YES, WHAT’S THEIR NAMES?
WHAT’S THEIR CHARACTER NAMES?
WHAT’S THEIR CHARACTER SERIES?
DO YOU PLAN ON DOING A SKIT? YES OR NO
IF YES, DO YOU NEED AN AUDIO SET UP? YES OR NO
IF YES, DO YOU WANT A MICROPHONE?
ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS